Sunday, September 07, 2008

I had an idea about making a quilt of squash blossoms. Naturally they would be yellow and to show imact, I selected a black background.

The squash blossoms started out large, I mean REALLY large. The first mockups were over 12 inches each. I asked my husband what he thought of the mockup, and he replied that the "yellow things" were a little on the large size. So I stepped away from the project for a day or two and decided to scale the blossoms back quite a bit. The final size of each section of the blossom is about 8 inches.

Next I needed fabric for the elongated leaves and remembered a few years before I purchased this fabulous print fabric from a local quilt shop. It had all the colors that usually speak to me: yellow, red, and green. What more could this girl want!

This is how I used the fabric...


There wasn't much room for experimentation or error as I only had one scant yard of the fabric. So as Project Runway's Tim Gunn would say, I made it work.


To be continued...

























No comments: